Coherent Info

jxholzri at wsuiar.uucp jxholzri at wsuiar.uucp
Tue Oct 9 04:51:12 AEST 1990

In article <9047 at ucrmath.ucr.edu>, neg at ucrmath.ucr.edu (neil gretsky) writes:
> Can any helpful netlanders give me some information about
> Coherent Unix which Mark Williams is selling for $99.95?
> How does it compare to SCO, Esix, AT&T, etal. Specific
> info about device drivers, compatibility, and enhancements
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Is this the only newsgroup to which this query should be posted?
> Response by E-mail or posting is fine. Thanks.

> Neil E. Gretsky 		*internet:   neg at ucrmath.ucr.edu
> Mathematics Department 		*uucp:	    {ucsd, uci, ucdavis}!ucrmath!neg
> Univ. of California, Riverside 	*ear:	    714-787-3591 (or -5002 for message)
   I haven't had a chance to work with any of the other PC UNIX OS's but I have
noticed that COHERENT seems well written, but lacking in important features.
The tar and compress on it are 12 bit, and the C compiler only supports the
small memory model. ( I DID get a Beta copy of a 16 bit tar and compress, but
it only comes with 12..)  Mark Williams Company seems good to deal with, and
they seem to be improving the product, but I don't think I would plan on
running a business on COHERENT for a while. ( For experimenting under UNIX it
seems to work fairly decent.)
                          Andy Holzrichter