286 -> 386sx Upgrades

Kent L Shephard kls30 at duts.ccc.amdahl.com
Fri Oct 5 01:51:05 AEST 1990

Upgrades via the "plug in an adapter to the 286" are expensive compared to
what a new 386sx motherboard costs.  I'm in Sunnyvale and out the door
price of a new motherboard w/o ram is about $300.00, the Sota upgrade
board is above $500.00.  For $400.00 you can get a motherboard and 2MB of
ram. (memory is cheap ~$50/MB) If you look in Computer Shopper, PC Week,
etc you shoud be able to find a motherboard still for about $300.00.

It is not  that difficult to swap out a motherboard.  Takes a little more
time than the upgrade board but is worth it.  BTW I upgraded to a 386sx
last year from a 8Mhz 8088 with a 286 accelerator board.  But what I did
was bought a system that was bare bones and just transferred cards.

If you do buy a new motherboard  you may be able to use your existing
memory in your 286 provided it is simms or sipps and the new mother board
takes the same type.  The speed shouldn't be a problem if the simms/sipps
are 100ns or better because a lot of 386sx boards use 100  or 80ns chips.

/*************************************************************/
/*                                                           */
/*  The war on drugs is a joke!!!  Why is it that you can't  */
/*  get a Cuban cigar in the U.S. and you can buy a ROCK of  */
/*  COCAINE in any city if you look?  Also, how come they    */
/*  never seize any ships bringing the stuff into the        */
/*  country?   Interesting questions?  I say somebody is     */
/*  getting paid! (No flames please, just food for thought.) */
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */