ADAPTEC 1542b FAILS DMA TEST ON ATI 386-25

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Tue Oct 23 09:54:43 AEST 1990

In article <4203 at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> enc at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Erez N. Carmel) writes:
>I just purchased Adaptec 1542B and installed it in ATI 386-25 w/ cache.
>The DMA test (DC00:9) failes on FIFO R/W and generates a continuous
>error message.  The same card passed the same test on another machine,
>a 286 AT.

This has been described: the first-party DMA that makes
the Adaptek fast is not handled well by all boards.  I
had a DTK fail to coexist with the 1542A even when it
passed the DC00:9 test.  (DTK apparently has a board mod now
that corrects this.)  Your best advice is to change motherboard!
Perhaps you can swap with someone who doesn't need SCSI,
or, even better, get your vendor to make good on the claim of
compatibility.  You can always fall back to a slower SCSI,
like WD.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840