No Passwd for nuucp

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Mon Oct 29 09:01:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct27.203150.13610 at jpradley.uucp> jpr at jpradley.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
=I assume that the "insisting" comes from a mkuser or addusr or similar program?

	Nope!  It comes from login.
=
=Anyways, what if you just give it a password and then edit it out of
=/etc/passwd?

	Login says, "bad boy! you ain't got no password.  ya' better
	get one RIGHT NOW or you ain't gettin' into this machine!"
	It's a Xenix compatibility issue, as I understand it.

=BTW, what's the point of 'nuucp' as a public, unpassworded access instead of
=just plain 'uucp'?

	uucp is the "root" of communications and owns enough stuff so that
	an un-passworded uucp is an invitation to create trouble.  (This
	was pointed out to me in email.)

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math