Reference manual for 386 assembly language on AT&T Sys V

Stuart Celarier,<None>,2369490,2369386 celarier at reed.bitnet
Sat Oct 13 08:11:58 AEST 1990

I am looking for a reference manual for the 386 assembly language
as recognized by as(1) on AT&T's System V, release 4.  AT&T does not
use the same notation as ASM386, presented in the Intel literature,
but I cannot find a document which specifies the AT&T notation.

The man page for as(1) documents how to use that command, not the
description of the language that it processes.  That man page
references asm386.sed(1) as a method for translating ASM386
code to AT&T code -- but that is not good enough for the task at
hand.  In addition to knowing the syntax of the instruction set,
there are (should be?) various assembler directives such as where
to place things, whether a symbol is public, etc., etc., etc.

I expected to find this information in the programmer's guide,
right along side the C reference manual (silly me), since the volume
I have is explicitly for the 386 processor (Prentice-Hall book
published for AT&T).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stuart Celarier			celarier at reed.edu
Voice: 503/236-9490		Fax:  503/236-9491