Floppy / dma / video problems?

Jerry H. Chan chan at chansw.UUCP
Sat Oct 27 04:08:51 AEST 1990

Can anybody confirm a supposed problem where data on a floppy drive gets
"trounced" due to a DMA conflict w/16-bit video cards? I put in a call to
ISC where the file system on a floppy was getting corrupted (i.e., INSTALL
disk where directories were getting strange attributes w/negative sizes)?

According to ISC, I got a work-around of putting the card into 8-bit mode
or moving the card to a 8-bit slot; the reason for this anomaly was that
"there was some DMA conflict between the floppy controller and VGA card
which was corrected by moving the card to an 8-bit slot".  Can anybody
shed some light on this?  The problem has been noted particularly with
Paradise and Tseng-based chip sets (i.e., Orchid).

--
Jerry Chan 508-853-0747, Fax 508-853-2262  |"My views necessarily reflect the
Chan Smart!Ware Computer Services & Prods  | views of the Company because