HELP! Problems installing INGRES on SCO unix 386

Constantinos Papaconstantinou cp at beach.cis.ufl.edu
Thu Oct 25 15:57:31 AEST 1990

        Help!  INGRES installation problems.

        I'm trying to install Relational Technologies INGRES 6.1 on a 386
running SCO UNIX 3.2.0 with the HP version of TCP/IP RunTime.  Everything
seems to install okay, but at boot the INGRES name server (iigcn) complains
about not being able to open "/dev/socksys" and aborts.  The rest of INGRES
won't run without their name server present.
        /dev/socksys indeed does not exist - only /dev/socket.  None of the
support folks know what the problem is.  In desperation I tried linking
socket to socksys, and got an "Invalid arguement" failure instead (I knew
that was too easy).

        Anyone have an idea what's going on?  What is /dev/socksys?  Could
we need a TCP/IP upgrade?  The HP disks say rev A.00.00; how does that map
to SCO version numbers?  HP won't tell us unless we pay them $135.00 for a
support call.

Thanks so much,

Costa Papas     cp at joker.mil.ufl.edu
             or cp at beach.cis.ufl.edu