VGA 800x600 (256/16 colors)

Pete Sridharan sridhar at consl5.esg.dec.com
Wed Oct 31 09:04:31 AEST 1990

  Could someone through some light on this topic:  Increasing the
display resolution of
      VGA monitor for  386 running SYS V 3.2.2.

   I am trying to determine what it takes to increase the display
resolution of my 386
    system with the following configuration:
	-   Runs SVR 3.2.2
	-    Uses a SVGA card from Cardinal Technologies (uses Tseng Lab chip)
	           that can handle 1024x768x16  (I chose this card because it
had least
	           noticeable display flicker; little did I know of SVS V
driver compatibility
	            issues)
	-    Running OpenLook 2.0  (X server supports 16 colors only, now)

    Now I'm able to achieve 640x480x16 color resolution only.

    I hear that the AT&T kd Driver supports 800x600 resolution only for
AT&T VDC 600
     cards only.

     What is the easist (least expensive) way of upgrading the resolution ?
	- Are there SYS V compatible drivers available from other vendors that have
	      better resolution?
	 - Are there VGA boards/drivers for SVS V that can support better resolution
	     than 800x600x16?

      Any info on this subject will be very much appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

********/
/* Pete Sridharan          sridhar%consl5.esg.dec.com at decwrl.dec.com     */
/* Digital Equipment Corporation, Four Results Way, Marlboro, MA 01752*/
/* (WORK) 508-467-6684                   (HOME)  508-653-7208
*/
********/