Are the Prentice Hall books the real McCoy?

Jay A. Konigsberg jak at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
Sun Oct 28 19:48:26 AEST 1990

In article <902 at usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> bobm at mummy.unsw.oz (Robert Marks) writes:
-We have recently bought SCO Unix System V/386 ver 3.2.  Our distributor told
-us that the only way to get additional copies of the documentation is to
-buy additional sets of software -- seems ridiculous.  If they won't sell,
-then what are the alternatives?
-
I find it hard to beleive that SCO won't sell them directly, even if the
distributor wont.

-I have come across reference to the Prentice Hall series on Unix
-System V/386 release 3.2, but before shelling out $$, I'd like confirmation
-that these volumes are the real McCoy.  That is, that they are reprints of
-the SCO documentation.
-
I was under the impression that those books referred to the AT&T V/386
Unix. I have been using that version of the Users Reference for some
time now with no real problems. However, there are some differences.
In particular, the ps(1) command is different in some of the options
available, though ps(1) tends to be _very_ system dependent. In fact,
My manual said one thing, the on-line docs said another and the error
produced by the command said still another ... oh well :-)

Short of buying more manuals (for the correct release), all you can
do is to photocopy selected pages for taking notes and to use in your
office.