alloca for V.4? (mutter, grumble...)

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Wed Oct 24 05:04:25 AEST 1990

tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
  pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
> >alloca() is in SVR4, but in a place that is as improbable as -lPW in
> >V.3.2; I seem to remember somebody saying it is in -lucb.

> I really recommend that people who are looking for things like alloca()
> take the time to run something like
>
> 	nm -ehr /lib/*.a /usr/lib/*.a | fgrep extern > allsyms.txt

Tom's advice is good, but unfortunately in some parts of the universe, the
obsession with reorganizing, splitting out, rearranging, and generally
changing-for-the-sake-of-change outstrips a moderately clever person's
ability to figure out what's happened.  In the case of V.4, alloca() is in
/usr/ucblib/libucb.a (how many times have I posted that now?:-), so Tom's
little searchit won't find it.

And BTW, I don't claim to have found it by being more-than-moderately
clever.  I stepped in it after trying to decode the difference between
/bin/cc (which is really /usr/bin/cc) and /usr/ucb/cc (which turns out to
be a delightful 55-line shell script containing exactly one line of
command, unless you also count the shell selection line #!/sbin/sh, but
you probably shouldn't since it doesn't occur until line 8, and therefore
probably doesn't do anything anyway, but I digress, and also run short of
commas...:-)
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Never offend with style when you can offend with substance.