386 unix summaries wanted

Keane Arase kean at tanstaafl.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 31 05:09:58 AEST 1990

Hello All!

I'm looking for a unix type OS for a 386 machine, and figured this would
be a good place to start.

Which one(s) is(are) considered the best?
What are the costs involved (i.e. licensing, documentation, source, etc.)?
Which ones have the best support behind them?
Are they mostly SysV or are there BSD versions available?
What platforms are available, and which are the most recommended?

Sorry for such elementary questions, but I'm new to this 386/unix
arrangement.  I normally work on Suns.

Certainly this has been discussed before in this group, so if someone
could please be kind enough to send me a summary of the discussion,
I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Keane Arase
kean at tanstaafl.uchicago.edu