Reading DC6150 XENIX 2.3.2 tapes under ODT

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 23:10:28 AEST 1990

mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) writes:

[ about not being able to read DC600 tapes written on his old machine
  on his new one ]

> The drive appears to be installed correctly according to "mkdev scsi" and
> "mkdev tape" (at least it's being recognized).  So far my best guess is that
> I have a defective unit; any other ideas?

If I were you, I'd have *both* drives checked for alignment.  The particular
technology of design for these tape drives makes it nigh impossible to
tell which drive is out of alignment.   I do it by having a "voting" system
consisting of a pile of tapes written on over half a dozen different
systems, and I read every single tape in every single drive I get through.
Many fail and have to be sent home for re-alignment :-(

It's sad.  In this particular area, the IRWIN mini-cartidges are much
better -- they are self-aligning.  Do let us know what happens!

Oh, BTW, is sir-alan up yet ?
--
ronald at robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)