Fortran compilers for ISC 2.2 et al

J. Keith Alston jka at radar0.larc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 4 01:43:56 AEST 1990

Hello out there
We're running Interactive 386/ix 2.2 on a Compaq 386/33 and have experienced
several problems. Maybe someone can help.
1)
Is anyone using the Oasys/Green hills or NDP fortran compilers with ISC 2.2.
We currently have the NDP fortran and C compilers on a dos machine and they
seem to be pretty good. We're thinking of getting NDP fortran for unix.
We have the Oasys/green hills fortran and C compilers installed
on our ISC machine.  The gh C compiler seems to be without any glaring
problems but there is a problem in the fortran compiler. We use common
blocks to set up a "global" array. We pass the array to a subroutine and
there do some processing which changes the array contents. On return
from subroutine the array contents are unchanged. I could be wrong but
shouldn't the array contents be changed even without using common.  We think
this a major bug in the compiler! The people at Oasys were very helpful at
first but now we can't seem to get them to call us back. We've repeatedly
left phone mail. So now we're to the point of buying another fortran
compiler. We'll probably buy NDP but any suggestion would be appreciated.
2)
Is anyone using a package called Visual GKS. This is a library of fortran
and C callable graphics routines. Supposedly these routines can run on top
of X. I've attempted to install the package and get it to run but it seems
that every step I take forward I take 2 backwards. Tech support seemed to
know little more than I did.
3)
We have LPI newC, there appears to be a problem passing any values into
programs(argc stays zero). Also in the standard C compiler(cc) we get
wrong answers from some of the math functions(asin and sqrt). Anyone
seen these problems?
4)
Is there a way to run a default system shell whenever a user logs in. I
know theres /etc/profile if you're running the bourne shell, but what
about in the C shell. Documentation says that the file /etc/default/.cshrc
will allow you to set some default environment variables. What if you want
to run a system script at login that does more than set environment vars.
I don't want to have to put something in everyones .login or .cshrc file.

Thanks in advance for any help.            Keith Alston