MicroPort Unix V/386

Matthew Frohman mfrohman at digi.lonestar.org
Mon Oct 8 22:55:36 AEST 1990

>From my original posting. . .
>> I am using MicroPort's implementation of Unix (sys V/386).
>>
>> My question is, according to the documentation, NO partition
>> should begin at 0 or 1.  That is reserved for something else.
>> I see no way to specify where to begin the partition.
>>
>> It IS causing a problem, because after I install Unix, then
>> active partition, the next time I turn on my computer, the
>> boot sector has been wiped out and FDISK says that there are
>> NO partitions.

Well, I stumbled across the answer myself.  Thanks for all of the

The disk is formatted with the first partition as DOS and the
second as UNIX.  If you are running UNIX and wish to change
the active partition, you MUST use the UNIX FDISK.  If you are
using DOS and wish to change the active partition, you MUST use
the DOS FDISK.

I had been running under UNIX and I placed an MS-DOS boot disk
in drive A and reset the machine.  After is booted, I used
the DOS FDISK to change the active partition.

Oh well. . . I didn't know any better at the time.--
Matthew Frohman        texbell!digi!mfrohman  OR  mfrohman at digi.UUCP
                                OR  mfrohman at digi.lonestar.org