Running X windows on a 16MHz 386sx

Tin Le tin at smsc.sony.com
Tue Oct 9 10:29:38 AEST 1990

In article <14220 at netcom.UUCP> boba at netcom.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) writes:
>Is anyone running Sys V Unix and X windows on a 386sx based machine?
>I'm interested in knowing what the performance is like.

I run ISC v2.0.2 and X11R4 Xvga on a 386/20.  The performance is quite
usable as compared to a Sun 3 (faster in some operations).  I do have
8MB of RAM (I wouldn't try it with less).

If you are going to be using a 386sx, I recommend minimum of 8MB and
you should be running X11R4.  Do NOT use R3, not worth the trouble.
Also get a fast graphics card (16 bit VGA card).  The performance should
be close to a diskless Sun 3 with 8MB of RAM and SunOS 4.x.

-- Tin Le

--
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin at smsc.Sony.COM