UUCP protocols

John B. Milton jbm at celebr.uucp
Thu Oct 18 17:14:24 AEST 1990

In article <17 at jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>Does anyone know how to specify a protocol to ISC 2.2 uucp?
>
>I want it to use the t protocol instead of the g protocol on a local
>connection, but can't remember how.

system time;r Device,p;c baud phone
            ^        ^ ^
            |        | `-- class
            |        `---- protocol set
            `------------- max retry time, for linear back-off

You can find out what protocols are available by polling the machine you're
interested in with uucico in debug mode (-x5):

Login Successful: System=osu-cis
msg-ROK
 Rmtname osu-cis, Role MASTER,  Ifn - 6, Loginuser - jbm
rmesg - 'P' got Pgextf
                 ^^^^^ protocols offered
wmesg 'U'g
         ^ we want g
Proto started g
*** TOP ***  -  role=1, setline - X

You can poll your own machine to find out what protocols YOU support.

BTW, what is the "t" protocol anyway?

The ,p;c stuff after the device name can go in the Systems or the Devices file

NOTE: if you are using a Telebit with uucp spooffing, the TB WILL ONLY DO g
protocol!!

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!