NS16550 chips with FAS

Robert A. Kukura rk at theep.boston.ma.us
Wed Oct 3 07:54:04 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct2.172452.7452 at craycos.com> ewv at craycos.com (Eric Varsanyi) writes:

   I have been calling around trying to find someone who will sell me some
   NS16550's (the 8250a replacement async chip) and have not had much
   luck. Hamilton Avnet and Bell Industries have at least heard of it
   but all they have are parts suffixed with AFV. They throught this
   meant that it was a square SMD package (vs the 40 pin DIP).

   A call to National Semi didn't help, they cannot find a data sheet
   for this part to get the right suffix for the 40 pin package. They
   did tell me that in their database the part was listed as obsoleted
   (she couldn't say by what though).

   While I wait for a National Semi application engineer to call me back perhaps
   someone could post:

	   1) Who's sells these things?
	   2) How much?
	   3) What is the full part number (NS16550AN)?

I recently bought a couple of NS16550AFN's from Jameco Electronics.
They were $17.95 each, arrived within a couple of days, are the 40 pin
DIP package, and work great with FAS.  Jameco's phone number is
415-592-8097.

-Bob Kukura		internet: rk at theep.boston.ma.us
			uucp: spdcc!theep!rk