Reading/writing IBM 9 track tapes under UNIX

alan denney aland at informix.com
Thu Oct 4 06:55:56 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct1.174354.22980 at nimbus3.uucp> djs at nimbus3.UUCP (Doug) writes:
>We have a 9 track tape drive made by Qualstar.  It is attached to a 386
>PC running System V Release 3.2.2.  We have been given a 9 track tape
>written on an IBM 3090 in something called "IBM Labeled" format.  It also
>says LRECL=1024 and BLKSIZE=1024 on the label.  No combination of dd
>options produced meaningful input.  Does anyone know how to read/write
>these tapes under UNIX?
>
>Thanks for any help!
>Doug Scofea   Email: nimbus3!djs at cis.ohio-state.edu    Phone:+1 614 459-1889

If this was produced in an MVS environment, the actual data should
begin on the *fourth* physical file (after three TAPE MARKS).
VM may be the same.

IBM standard labeled tape files look like this, file-wise:

VOL1    (volume serial label)
HDR1    (file header part 1)
HDR2    (file header part 2)
<data file 1>
EOF
HDR1    (file header part 1)
HDR2    (file header part 2)
<data file 2>
EOF
EOV ? (end of tape marker)

You probably need to use files=3 and conv=ascii as well.
The record length, block size, and recording format (LRECL,BLKSIZE,
RECFM) will appear on the HDR1 file, if you know how to parse it.

Hope this helps.

--
Alan Denney  #  aland at informix.com  #  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "Out on the highway doing 98... radio's blastin', and he's tempting fate
  He swears he saw an angel in a black Corvette
  She was blowing him kisses through her cigarette
  Boy's gone crazy;  it's not just a phase, he's one step over the line..."
                                "Boy's Gone Crazy", Was (Not Was)