Mixture of ISC 2.0.2 and 2.2 system softwares

Willy Paine paine at fungus.dec.com
Fri Oct 12 05:13:18 AEST 1990

Cc: paine (Willy Paine)

My story on installing over 1023 cyclinder hard drive is not over yet
and it is really long story but I make it short.

Right now I am running ISC Unix 2.2 in my Compaq 386's 300 megB hard
and I want to replace this with 650 megB SpeedStor and Adaptec controller.

I could NOT install or upgrade 2.2 in new harddrive and instal program
has bug on trouble with moving or writing files into new hard disk.

I had NO trouble installing version 2.0.2 in new hard disk and I may
have to face some complex problems on "downgrade" my system from 2.2
to 2.0.2.

MY QUESTION:  Can I mix 2.0.2 (boot, cores and kernals) with 2.2
softwares (networks, software development)?   I like 2.2 but disk
space is my top priority right now.    Can I mix version 2.0.2 boot,
and cores with version 2.2 kernals?

I tried really hard to persuade ISC Tech to trash install program and
replace with 2.0.2 type install.  ISC told me some wierd things to
try to fix installation problem.  For example, v2.2 install dont work
with >1024 cycl and 16 bits VGA unless this replaces with 8 bits video
card.  I have tried this but no luck.

ISC gave me official statement about new release 2.2.1 due November
and it does not say about going to fix the problem with my new hard
drive but I am told that ISC is NOT going to fix inode problem in 2.2.1
because ISC could not produce inode bug!!!

Thank you for your time and I am still trying to install 2.2 in new
hard drive.

willy