ISC 2.0.2 possibly damaged file system

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Thu Oct 11 22:06:07 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct10.162042.29245 at watserv1.waterloo.edu> bhutch at shine7.waterloo.edu writes:
>  NOTICE: bad free block count in free list block on Primary
>  AT Hard Disk unit 0, partition 4

This means that your system is not unmounting the partition during the
shutdown.    If the system is automatically mounted during start-up, it
should be auto-unmounted unless you have some processes that are getting
locked up on that partition, or have mounted something else on top of
that partition.

Anyway, this message is not a bad thing because the way that ISC works (with
it's fast file system) you will always get this if the file system was not
unmounted properly and it doesn't indicate any damage in itself.

>How can I fix the bad free block count? Is it possible to fix it?

You need to figure out why the partition is not being unmounted.

>Do I have to reinstall the whole thing?

Shouldn't have to.  This, by itself, is not an indication of any problems
with the system installation.

>Another question is what is `gendev', the device which uses interrupt
>vector 5 on /etc/conf/cf.d/sdevice ? Can I disable it to avoid a
>conflict with my Microsoft Bus Mouse? The Famous Manual doesn't
>have anything on `gendev' either...

gendev entries are part of the High Performance Disk Driver (HPDD) and all
the extra entries will be removed when you configure it.

As root run kconfig, CONFIGURE KERNEL, COFIGURE HIGH...

                                                Sterling, VA 22170