reading tapes on 386/ix written to SCO's /dev/erct0

Pim Zandbergen pim at cti-software.nl
Thu Oct 18 06:10:51 AEST 1990

I have these two tapes I want to read on our 386/ix 2.0.2 system.
But apperently they were written on SCO UNIX using /dev/erct0,
the error correcting device.

The symptom is the first 64k read OK, but then cpio looses track.
I also used afio. Afio will continue after loosing sync,
but in this case has to resync every 32k or so, leaving
lots of corrupted files.

The problem is that although SCO's error correction is done
in software, this software is located in the device driver
rather then in a filter program.

This makes it impossible to read these tapes on other then SCO
systems, unless someone has written a filter to emulate
SCO's device driver behaviour. Has anyone?

I don't really need the error correction to actually work,
just skipping the CRC info would be enough.

If someone has more information about how /dev/erct0 stores
the data, I may write this filter myself and share the
result with you.

Thanks in advance.
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim at cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70           phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands      fax    : +31 70 3512837