Shell says... is not an identifier (was TIMEZONE).

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Oct 13 21:13:31 AEST 1990

In article <453 at oha.UUCP> tony at oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) writes:

>Look closely at all places where TZ may have been wrongly
>entered as $TZ on the left of =.

Guys, the problem is not that someone is setting the variable incorrectly.
It is that if the TZ variable is set in /etc/TIMEZONE (where it is supposed
to be set) then when init passes this to the shell it wreaks havoc.

Before I get zillions of messages from people that say "I set TZ in
my /etc/TIMEZONE file with no problems" I will add:

	This (the problem) is only the case when you use some of the
	extended TZ features, not for a simple TZ=EST5EDT type of TZ.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170