SCO-Unix - booting to single user mode and then crash

Willy Paine paine at fungus.dec.com
Thu Oct 18 02:04:10 AEST 1990

    My Lab is running SCO Open DeskTop and I don't know what happen
    to this.  It was shutdown at this and I turned on this machine.
    It booted clean included no fsck at all but...

    When it goes to SINGLE USER MODE, it displays:

    -------------------< display >----------------------------------

    Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
                                                ( or give root passwd
    for system maintaince.

    Then it freezes or crashs and I can not press <return>.  Notice there
    is no real linefeed between "startup," and "(or give"

    How can I upgrade this from disk instead of installing from scratch?
    I tried to figure it out how to access to hard disk from floppy disk
    on SINGLE USER MODE.   I can do this with REAL System V (Interactive
    386/ix or Interactive Unix 2.2) but not for SCO Unix.   I think this
    could be a problem with rc area.  I tried to boot from unix.old but
    no luck.  Would like to know how to boot from floppy (N1/N2) and
    mount hard disk on floppy's /mnt if any.

    Thank you for your time.

    willy