Here's how to stop shell escapes from vi

Daniel A. Glasser dag at gorgon.uucp
Tue Oct 9 11:03:23 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct1.190141.29659 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>  As someone else has already pointed out, it is possible to set the SHELL
>environment variable from inside vi, using a vi command.
>
>\begin{soapbox}
>  Read the net before you post.  RTFM before you post.
>\end{soapbox}

**** FLAME ON ****

Okay, I just finished reading TFM.  The only version of vi docs that I have
on hand are from a SYS-III implementation.  They make no mention of how
to set an environment variable from within vi.  I've checked the man page
under the version of SYS-V that I am using (ISC V2.2), and that also gives
no clue of how to go about changing an environment variable from within vi.
I'll admit that I've hated vi from the day I first set eyes on it oh so many
years ago, thus have never learned the backdoors, etc., that lurk within
vi.  I had read the entire thread up to that point as it had arrived at
my site.  I've read much of the thread that has followed.  I still have
not seen this.

DO NOT ASSUME THAT ALL MESSAGES FROM ALL PLACES GET TO A SITE IN THE SAME
ORDER AS THEY DO TO YOUR SITE.  OR EVEN THAT THEY GET THERE AT ALL.

In all likelyhood, I've been posting to the net longer than you've had
access to any kind of unix system, possibly computer.  I've been a Unix
user from very early 7th edition days.  I have written several programs
like the one I've described under RSTS/E, VMS, Unix v7, SysIII, and
System V.  I've never had any problems with any of them.  It may be
that vi has a back door that I don't know about.  That is no reason
to assume that tone.

I may sound like a complete jerk, but I don't like being talked down to.

**** FLAME OFF ****

--
Daniel A. Glasser                       One of those things that goes
dag%gorgon at persoft.com                  "BUMP! (ouch!)" in the night.