WD1007V + big Maxtor + DOS + UNIX

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Mon Oct 1 00:43:15 AEST 1990

In article <15899 at bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
=Does anyone know the best way to configure a Maxtor 8760E disk on a
=WD1007V-SE2 controller in a 386 AT system when you want a small bootable
=DOS partition followed by a big UNIX partition, without wasting most of
=the disk?
=
=I have:
=
=	Maxtor 8760E 5.25" FH disk (1632 cyl x 15 hd x 54 sec/trk for a
=				formattad capacity of ~ 678MB)
=What I would love most of all is:
=
=	An exact cookbook procedure for creating the above. :-)

Low-level format the disk using DEBUG and the WD BIOS program at C800:5
(or their DOS formatter).

Boot UNIX "Disk 1 of 7."
Partition numero uno should be DOS, 80 cylinders (if my math is correct,
your Maxie yields 414,720 bytes per cylinder and 32M is 33,554,432
bytes.  Next partition (the active one) should get 1552 cylinders.
Ignore FDISK's reporting of anything except starting cylinder number.
Then, just continue with the installation.

=What I don't understand right now is:
=
=	* Should I enable or disable the 1007V's translation mode?
=	  Does that mode need their BIOS INT 13H code to make it work
=	  right?  If so, how will the BIOS-free UNIX driver cope?

???  I used "enabled" for a 1222 cylinder Maxie on a 1007-WA2.  Cope?

=	* How do I tell UNIX or DOS fdisk() programs about cylinder
=	  numbers over 1023?  The fdisk on Intel's supplied UNIX boot
=	  disk seems to do 10-bit truncation on numbers at the strangest
=	  places, making hash of the partition table.  Will I have to go
=	  in with Norton and patch it myself?

No need to.  No.

=	* After screwing around with SETUP and FDISK for a while, I no
=	  longer seem to be able to boot DOS from the hard disk even
=	  when I run FDISK from scratch and FORMAT the resulting
=	  partition.  The system hangs weirdly.  Will I have to do a low
=	  level format to clean this up?

You mean if your DOS partition is formatted and sys'd and made active,
you still can't boot?  I'd start all over, doing what I suggested above.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math