Diffs to FAQ posting

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Oct 2 13:17:14 AEST 1990

*** 9009	Sun Sep  2 20:33:05 1990
--- 9010	Mon Oct  1 23:11:12 1990
***************
*** 1,9 ****
  Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
  Subject: Welcome to comp.unix.sysv386 (AKA Frequently Asked Questions)
! Expires: 7 Oct 90 05:03:07 GMT
! Supersedes: <1990Aug07.012306.26510 at virtech.uucp>

  Welcome to the comp.unix.sysv386 newsgroup.  This newsgroup (actually the
  former comp.unix.i386 newsgroup which was renamed to this group) was founded
--- 1,9 ----
  Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
! Expires: 7 Nov 90 05:03:07 GMT
! Supersedes: <1990Sep03.003401.13086 at virtech.uucp>

  Welcome to the comp.unix.sysv386 newsgroup.  This newsgroup (actually the
  former comp.unix.i386 newsgroup which was renamed to this group) was founded
***************
*** 17,27 ****
  posting, the Frequently Asked Questions posting in comp.unix.questions,
  and finally the various postings in news.announce.newusers.

! 	Last Modified: $Id: freq.ques,v 1.4 90/09/02 20:30:14 cpcahil Exp $

  This article includes answers to:

-
  	 1. What is this group for?
  	 2. Which Unix should I buy?
  	 3. Is there a BSD port for the 386 available anywhere?
--- 17,26 ----
  posting, the Frequently Asked Questions posting in comp.unix.questions,
  and finally the various postings in news.announce.newusers.

! 	Last Modified: $Id: freq.ques,v 1.5 90/10/01 23:10:04 cpcahil Exp $

  This article includes answers to:

  	 1. What is this group for?
  	 2. Which Unix should I buy?
  	 3. Is there a BSD port for the 386 available anywhere?
***************
*** 48,53 ****
--- 47,53 ----
  	22. What is the bandwidth of an AT Bus?
  	23. Can Unix make use of memory in 16 bit AT bus slots?
  	24. How do I fix the error "Out of DOS Inodes" ?
+ 	25. Where can I get the K-Shell (aka ksh)?

  Before I start on the answers, I will state that there is NO GUARANTEE as
***************
*** 101,109 ****
  	files, the Korn shell, and many other nifty things.

  	These are now starting to ship (usually beta releases) to end-users
! 	by both Microport and UnixHOUSE.  I haven't seen these releases,
  	nor heard any reports from those that have recieved them.

  	BSD 4.4 will support the 386 architecture as a base system.  This
  	means that vendors will have a base BSD system that could be used
  	to make a BSD binary release for this architecture.  There are
--- 101,115 ----
  	files, the Korn shell, and many other nifty things.

  	These are now starting to ship (usually beta releases) to end-users
! 	by Intel, Microport, and UnixHOUSE.  I haven't seen these releases,
  	nor heard any reports from those that have recieved them.

+ 	One thing that should be noted here is that the System V R4 release
+ 	has MAJOR changes over the R3 releases and probably won't be stable
+ 	for a while.  If you want a stable system, I would suggest that you
+ 	continue to use a R3 until the second release of R4 systems (6-9 mos
+ 	or so).
+
  	BSD 4.4 will support the 386 architecture as a base system.  This
  	means that vendors will have a base BSD system that could be used
  	to make a BSD binary release for this architecture.  There are
***************
*** 190,197 ****
  	The stock serial ports usually will drop characters when run at
  	high speeds with incomming data.  The best way to fix this is to
  	add the "FAS" driver to your system.  (FAS stands for Final
! 	Asynch Solution).  This driver was posted to alt.sources and
! 	comp.unix.i386 in March of 1990.

  	The Readme for the FAS driver suggests that you also replace the
  	16450 uart chips on your asynch card with 16550s (I think the
--- 196,203 ----
  	The stock serial ports usually will drop characters when run at
  	high speeds with incomming data.  The best way to fix this is to
  	add the "FAS" driver to your system.  (FAS stands for Final
! 	Asynch Solution).  This driver (version 2.07) was posted to
! 	comp.unix.sysv386 in September of 1990.

  	The Readme for the FAS driver suggests that you also replace the
  	16450 uart chips on your asynch card with 16550s (I think the
***************
*** 198,203 ****
--- 204,213 ----
  	cost runs around $20).  The 16550s provide a 16 byte FIFO which
  	allows operation at high speeds without loosing characters.

+ 	SCO Unix, ESIX, and ISC UNIX are all reputed to support the 16550
+ 	in FIFO mode, so you probably can make this change without having
+ 	to change the drivers.  See your OS documentation for more info.
+
  8. Is there a port of X11 R3/4 available for whatever?

  	X11R3 is available from all of the 386 UNIX distributors.
***************
*** 297,303 ****

  		Eroff 			$795
  		SoftQuad Publishing	???
! 		Jetroff			$100
  		Psroff			$0

  	I have only used Eroff and it works quite well.  I have heard good
--- 307,313 ----

  		Eroff 			$795
  		SoftQuad Publishing	???
! 		Jetroff			$69 (personal)/$119 (commercial)
  		Psroff			$0

  	I have only used Eroff and it works quite well.  I have heard good
***************
*** 363,370 ****
  	uucp, kermit, etc.  This is the easiest mechanism to configure
  	and use (provided the device driver works properly).

! 	The SCO systems and the FAS driver provide modem control ports
! 	which can be used in the same manner.

  	The second solution is to use the uugetty software. uugetty
  	is a replacement for getty that uses uucp/cu locks to control
--- 373,380 ----
  	uucp, kermit, etc.  This is the easiest mechanism to configure
  	and use (provided the device driver works properly).

! 	The SCO and ESIX systems and the FAS driver provide modem control
! 	ports which can be used in the same manner.

  	The second solution is to use the uugetty software. uugetty
  	is a replacement for getty that uses uucp/cu locks to control
***************
*** 371,383 ****
  	access to the port.  In order to work properly,  the port must
  	have modem control support.

! 	386/ix has support for the modem control on the serial ports,
! 	but does not configure these devices automatically.  You must
! 	mannually create the ports using the following commands:

  		mknod /dev/ttym0 c 3 16
  		mknod /dev/ttym1 c 3 17

  14. How do I setup a global environment variable that is set for
  all programs/shells (including the /etc/rc*/* scripts?

--- 381,403 ----
  	access to the port.  In order to work properly,  the port must
  	have modem control support.

! 	386/ix and ESIX have support for the modem control on the serial
! 	ports, but does not configure these devices automatically.  You
! 	must mannually create the ports using the following commands:

+ 	For 386/ix:
+
  		mknod /dev/ttym0 c 3 16
  		mknod /dev/ttym1 c 3 17

+ 	For ESIX:
+
+ 		mknod /dev/ttyM0 c 3 128
+ 		mknod /dev/ttyM1 c 3 129
+
+ 	A better way to do this would be to modify the /etc/conf/node.d/asy
+ 	file so that it creates the modem control ports.
+
  14. How do I setup a global environment variable that is set for
  all programs/shells (including the /etc/rc*/* scripts?

***************
*** 604,610 ****
  18. Why do I run out of inodes on some filesystems when I know I don't
      have that many files?

! 	It's a known bug. Corrected in AT&T's 3.2.1 etc..., ISC 2.02,
  	and in some binary patches, previously posted here, for
  	Microport 3.0e and ISC 2.0 (and Microport SV/AT). If you
  	have it, write hate mail to your supplier's expensive QA
--- 624,630 ----
  18. Why do I run out of inodes on some filesystems when I know I don't
      have that many files?

! 	It's a known bug. Corrected in AT&T's 3.2.1 etc..., ISC 2.2,
  	and in some binary patches, previously posted here, for
  	Microport 3.0e and ISC 2.0 (and Microport SV/AT). If you
  	have it, write hate mail to your supplier's expensive QA
***************
*** 697,702 ****
--- 717,737 ----

  	unsigned char minsctrshft = MINSCTRSHFT;

+ 25. Where can I get the K-Shell (aka ksh)?
+ 	There are several sources where one can obtain a working ksh for 386
+ 	based systems.  These include the following:
+
+ 		* get source from the AT&T toolchest (approx $3,000 for a full
+ 		  site license)
+ 		* get the MKS trilogy (approx $130) which includes a home-grown
+ 		  substitute ksh.
+ 		* get gnu-BASH which has lots of the functionality and is free.
+ 		* get the KSH from Aspen Technologies
+
+ 	At least one of the System V R3 releases (namely Microport) included
+ 	a ksh.  The base port of System V R4 includes the ksh as one of its
+ 	standard shell, so if you wait a bit, it will be part of the base
+ 	system.

  If you have suggestions or corrections for any of these answers, please send

                                                Sterling, VA 22170