Take out memory to speed up kernel build!?

Steve Monroe monroe at rlgvax.UUCP
Thu Oct 4 00:46:17 AEST 1990

In article <4133 at altos86.Altos.COM> steve at Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) writes:
>In article <34417 at cup.portal.com> ts at cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
2>I've got 4 megs of RAM, and the command /etc/conf/cf.d/link_unix
2>takes about 7.5 minutes.
2>When my back was turned the other day, one of our QC people
2>stole my memory card, leaving me with only 2 meg.
2>Guess what?  My kernel build now takes only 5 minutes!
>Can you be more specific about the environment under which you tried this?

What kind of memory card?  I know on my system (a 4MB MAXAR) that if I add
add a 2MB Intel Aboveboard (16-bit card) my system runs much much slower.
It's really noticable if I then start X..