Free Memory Question

Tim Brown tim at comcon.UUCP
Tue Oct 16 16:06:34 AEST 1990

I am running ISC2.2 unix and I am noticing something strange.  When my
system is at rest, I only have 4megs of free ram with a 12meg system.
What could be using 6 megs of ram?  When I run X it drops to just 200k
or so of free ram.  I have 4 psuedo ttys with getty's on them and one
modem.  Anyone have a notion as to where to look?

I got these figures from umon.  It shows me as having 10 megs
available and 4 free.  The system really crawls when X is running and
I get kernel messages occasionally complaining about being unable to
get pages.

System is 33mhz micronics MB with 12 megs of RAM.  ESDI drive.

Any pointers here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Tim Brown            |