How to access dos partition from vpix?

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM
Fri Oct 19 14:32:57 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct18.214826.5940 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1990Oct17.160116.27818 at cimcor.mn.org> dick at cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>>I haven't figured out yet how to access a dos (3.3) partition
>>from vpix. Can you enlighten me?
>
>You don't say what Unix you're running -- If it's Esix, it can't be done.

Is this really true?

Under AT&T and suchlike products, you run a Unix executable called
'dosslice' which goes out and creates one or more new /dev/rdsk devices
corresponding to the DOS partition(s).  You then feed these device names
to VP/ix in 'vpix.cnf':

	D		/dev/rdsk/0s5

Now what I have noticed is that not everyone seems to have the
'dosslice' program or its equivalent.  Some shrinkwrap vendors seem not
to include it with their VP/ix products.  Therefore the user can't
create these devices.  But is the kernel support actually there anyway?
If you could run, say, the AT&T dosslice, would the resulting devices be
usable under Esix?  I can't try the experiment, I'm just asking.

--
"A man came into the the office one day and said he  \|/  Tom Neff
was a sailor.  We cured him of that." - Mark Twain,  -O-  tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM