SUMMARY: C++ compilers for Interactive Unix (Long)

Annette Myjak arm at sps.com
Wed Oct 31 07:06:21 AEST 1990

Goodness!  There seems to be quite an interest in C++ compilers under
Interactive Unix/386!  I got several responses, about 90% of which were
"please send me the info, too!"  Therefore, here is a summary of what
I've discovered.  Thanks to the following netters for leads and
other information:

Chip Salzenberg 	uunet!tct!chip
Mauro DePalma	 	uunet!Atherton.COM!mauro
James Van Artsdalen 	uunet!bigtex.cactus.org!james
Steven King 		uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!nowhere!sking
Phil MacArthur    	phm at PacBell.com

Hope all those looking for information find this helpful!

Regards,

Annette Myjak
arm at sps.com

DISCLAIMER:  I have no affiliation with any of the companies listed below.
I have also never used any of their products, so I STRONGLY recommend that
you contact them to obtain any other information you may need.

Zortech:   617-937-0696

	Zortech plans to release a C++ compiler for SCO Unix in
	mid-November.  They have no dates on the availabiltiy of
	a C++ compiler for Interactive Unix; they won't even say
	if they are currently working on a port.

Intek:	   206-455-1371   Seattle, Washington

	Intek has a C++ compiler(/translator) based on the AT&T Cfront 2.0
	product.  Price:  $495.  This price includes telephone/fax/email
	support.

Comeau     718-945-0009   Richmond Hill, New York

	Comeau C++ compiler is based on/compatible with (don't remember
	which) the AT&T C++ 2.0 product.  Price: $250.  Includes the
	compiler binary, include files, string libraries, C++ langauage
	reference manual and user manual.  Free lifetime support is
	included with a purchase. (WOW!)

HRC        416-922-1937   Canada

	HRC C++ compiler is based on AT&T Cfront technology.  HCR has
	recently been purchased, and is now a wholly owned subsidary
	of SCO.  A new release of the product (Rel. 3.0) is expected
	within a few weeks. The new release will be an SCO product, and
	is expected to run under Interactive Unix as well. (However, if
	there are problems with running it under Interactive Unix, they
	may not be fixed.)  Several class libraries are included.
	Price: about $1200.  Maintenance agreement is an additional cost
	which is not known at this time.

Oasys      617-890-7889   Waltham, Mass.

	Glockenspiel C++ based on the AT&T C++ 2.0 translator.  Produces
	C code which is then compiled with your native C compiler.
	Price: $1200.  1 year maintenance agreement: $300.

	C++/Emacs.  An emacs editor sensitive to C++ language.
	Price: $695.  1 year maintenance agreement: $175.

	M++ library is a set of high performance C++ classes and functions
	which dramatically simplify memory handling and array manipulation.
	This product is not currently ported for Interactive Unix, but
	they will sell you source for a little over $1000, and an additional
	maintenance agreement is also available.

	Green Hills C++ compiler.  Price: $1000. 1 year maintenance
	agreement: $300.

GNU
	G++ is always an option!

Below are the comments received from various netters about some of the
products listed above.  These are included for your general info.

---------------------

From: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!nowhere!sking (Steven King)
	I've been using Intek's version of AT&T's Cfront 2.0 for about 4 mo;
it has all the libraries (task, complex, and iostream ) and a few usefull
utilities - a name demangler, etc.,... It also came with dos versions of the
complex and iostream libraries. I'm quite satisfied with it.

---------------------

From: uunet!doc.cs.unm.edu!vandyke (Jeff Vandyke)
	I recently purchased Comeau's port of ATT C++ 2.1 ($250.00).
I haven't used it very much, but it installed real easy.  As I recall it uses
about ~1 - 1.5 meg which is very reasonable.

--------------------

From: phm at PacBell.com
	I have been using (briefly) the Zortech C++ compiler for MSDOS,
and am very impressed with it, especially for the price - cheap.  Big bang
for the buck,  as they say.  It is currently available for SCO UNIX,
with Interactive coming shortly, I hear.

 Phil MacArthur

-------------------------

From: uunet!tct!chip (Chip Salzenberg)
	We use GNU's compiler "G++" under SCO Unix.  It works well.

----------------------

From: uunet!bigtex.cactus.org!james (James Van Artsdalen)
	GNU C++ has been made to work, although I don't have it installed
here.  If you have some time to figure out install hassles, it's worth
a try

--------------------------

From: uunet!Atherton.COM!mauro (Mauro DePalma -VMS)
	DePalma SoftCraft provides support and service for GNU and X11
software specifically for UNIX System V/386 and and SunOS 4.x; on other
platforms customers need to provide the hardware and a fair amount of
motivation.

Presently we can provide the bulk of development utilities including
bison (System V/386 only), emacs, flex (System V/386 only), gas, gcc,
gdb, g++, libg++, make, tar (System V/386 only) and other BSD style
     ---  ------
utilities for System V/386.

In the works is the X Window System, Version 11 Release 4 for System
V/386 with VGA and super-VGA servers as well as COFF specific version
of GNU as and GNU ld.
Mauro DePalma

DePalma SoftCraft
2923 Cohansey Drive