FTP speed under TCP/IP for SCO Unix

Tim W Smith ts at cup.portal.com
Mon Oct 15 20:58:11 AEST 1990

How fast should ftp go between a couple of machines running
SCO Unix System V/386?  I set up a couple of machines (one
with a Western Digital WD8003E card and one with a new card
whose driver I am supposed to be testing).

I only got about 20 KBytes/second between the two machines
when I ftp'ed /etc/termcap back and forth.  This seems slow
to me.

Also, when the machine that has the WD8003E pings to itself,
ping reports that it is taking 30 msec per ping.  The other
machine reports 10 msec per ping.

Since pinging to onself does not involve the Ethernet driver,
this seems to indicate that the second machine is a lot
faster than the first.

Pinging from the first to the second also takes 30 msec, which
seems to me to indicate that the first machine is limited by
the protocols above the Ethernet.

Pinging from the second to the first takes 20 msec.

Is it possible that the first machine is so slow that I can't
ftp more than 20 KBytes/second?  Or is there probably something
wrong with the driver for the other card?  What should I be
able to get with ftp?  How sensitive is it to machine speed (both
raw CPU speed and memory access speed?)

						Tim Smith