What Problems Do you have with ISC TCP/IP?

Markus Richardson markus at hcmv2.ti.com
Fri Apr 12 05:53:17 AEST 1991

cohen at mips2.cr.bull.com (Steve Cohen) writes:

>We at Bull Hn are having a few problems with ISCs TCP/IP
>version 1.1 and would like to know if people who have installed
>ISC's 1.2 TCP/IP still have them, and if any other new problems
>have surfaced.

I am currently running ISC's TCP/IP version 1.1 with the 3C503 Ethernet card.

I am experiencing a kernel panic everytime my machine attempts to
answer an arp request.  My settings shown by 'ifconfig el0' are as follows:
el0: flags=807<UP,BROADCAST,DEBUG,ARPDEV>
        inet 128.247.157.220 netmask ffff0000 broadcast 128.247.255.255

I have talked to ISC Tech support and they tell me to set up my netmask
to match what my Sun machines have.  Well, the Suns do have the same
netmask and are in the same class network and domain as I am in.

When looking thru an Ethernet sniffer, we see that different unknown
Sun machines (on different domains with the first two octets in the TCP/IP
address being the same but still within our company) broadcast an arp
request, and then my ISC machine attempts to answer but panics instead.

I tried to disable my machines attempts at answering by placing the
argument "-arp" in the "ifconfig" command in the /etc/netd.conf file
but after reading the manual page on ifconfig, I found that this option
is not yet supported!

Does anyone out there in netland know any work-around?

Thanks for your help!

--
Markus R.  (markus at ti.com)

"If people built houses the way we write programs, the first woodpecker
 would wipe out civilization"  _The Cuckoo's Egg_ by Cliff Stoll