Another GCC 1.39 and Sys Vr4 problem.

Dave McCracken dcm at baldur.dell.com
Wed Apr 24 03:58:10 AEST 1991

scotte at applix.com (Scott Evernden) writes:

>In article <1991Apr22.005126.425 at swsrv1.cirr.com> toma at swsrv1.cirr.com (Tom Armistead) writes:
>>I have gcc compiled just fine and it will produce executable files just fine,
>>but if I use the -g command line option, I get an error from cc1 saying that
>>'-g' is an invalid option - Here's an example of the error?

>I don't yet have 1.39 but do have a 1.37.1 hacked for SVr4.  I couldn't
>make the -g option work because the compiler apparently does not emit
>assembler debugger directives in the format expected by as.

>I would suspect that this capability was "tied off" in 1.39, maybe?

Yes, it has been temporarily disabled.  There is at least one project
underway to teach gcc how to emit ELF debug statements (the format is
called DWARF), but as far as I know, it's not released yet.  It is
passed to the assembler in a particularly ugly fashion and is totally
different than a.out or COFF, so it's a non-trivial task.

--
Dave McCracken      dcm at dell.dell.com      (512) 343-3720
Dell Computer       9505 Arboretum Blvd    Austin, TX 78759-7299