Out of queue messages ???

John R. Brinkema brinkema at fjc.GOV
Thu Apr 11 13:27:38 AEST 1991

Two messages were found on the console of a ISC 2.2 Unix system:

Kernel: Allocq: out of queues
Kernel: stropen: out of queues

These messages apparently are printed when the system runs out of
streams queues (# defined by NQUEUE);  they are 'soft' errors: error noted,
the process that got caught probobly got smushed, but the systems as a
whole goes on.  I ran 'netstat -m' and sure enough, the queues entry showed
that there were 8 allocation failures.  I also noted that there were only
three times the the number of queues as streams (there should be four) so
I will reconfigure the system in the near future.  BUT ---

There is no active network on the system.  There is a ethernet wire connected
to the system, but there are no other systems attached (currently -- there was
one earlier in the week, but it was accidently removed (thinnet, ya know). The
console does have some (three) virtual terminals associated with the actual
one.  What is causing the queue allocations.  The netstat -m command showed
that a max of 300(!) queues were allocated (the current limit).  There were
some small number of streams allocated (but nothing like 300/4).  So what was
allocating the queues?  What is using streams (this is ISC 2.2 remember with
no active network).  I am at a loss for an explanation.   jb.
8 stream