X386 on AT&T lockup problem

Paul De Bra debra at wsinis03.info.win.tue.nl
Thu Apr 11 18:28:33 AEST 1991

This message is primarily intended for Thomas Roell, but our mailer
was not able to find a path to informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
(Host unknown)

This is a description of some circumstances under which i got the
X386a server (compiled for AT&T sVr3.2.1 with xqueue and no TCP/IP)
to lock up. Switching VT's unlocks the server.

I have not yet recompiled the binaries. Several of the distributed
binaries work as is.

The cursor usually freezes up under the following circumstances:
- use Optima Mega ET4000 based vga board with 1Mbyte.
- resolution 1144x900 on an EIZO 9070S.
- use olwm (don't know if that matters but i never use twm)
- activate a program with a small window, like xeyes.
- try to move the window around (push left button in top bar and
  drag window)
other circumstances which sometimes cause the cursor to freeze up:
- selecting something from an open-look menu`
- moving over the pallette in xfig
- resizing windows

Hope this is enough to give Thomas a clue.
I'm willing to try a possible fix. I have an AT&T 3.2.1 and
enough disk-space to have the first X-source tape on line (and compile).

Paul.
(debra at win.tue.nl, debra at research.att.com)