Using the -U option of lpadmin

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Wed Apr 24 21:44:22 AEST 1991

In <1991Apr23.032816.6656 at jwt.UUCP> john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>Has anyone gotten lpadmin -U to work?  I've tried configuring a new printer
>with:

>lpadmin -p printer-name -U system-name

>where system-name is a uucp-connected system.  Print requests get mail
>back complaining about stty errors; it doesn't appear that any attempt
>was made to connect to the remote system.  I'm just using
>uux system-name!lp for now, but this would be a nice feature to get
>working.

The description "system name" is a misnomer in the manual. Dial string would
be nearer the mark i.e. this is intended for a remote printer attached to
a modem. It does not allow printing onto e.g. the default printer on another
system. Pity, since the latter would have been useful, whilst the former is
not very (IMHO :-). You are doing the best way possible.

Tim
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Red Dwarf