Changing hard disk partitions

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Apr 14 02:48:55 AEST 1991

moore at forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:

>I've just initialised the 140 Mbyte hard disk on my ISC-based system, as
>follows:

for a 140MB disk I would compine /root and /usr so that they share
tmp space.   How  much you need depends upon what you plan to load.
For a full workstation developer package (excluding the LPI junk),
you need around 60MB.  add an extra 10MB for tmp space and kernel
reconfigurations.

>Without re-initialising the disk and re-loading the software already loaded:

Nope.  Well, you don't have to re-initialize the disk, but you do have to
reload.  Might as well reload.

>1. Can I increase the size of /usr at the expense of /usr2?

0. go to single user mode
1. Shrink /usr2 (see the FAQ posting for related info on setting up partitons)
2. mkfs it
3. mount it.
4. create lost+found
5. mount /usr
6. cd /usr; ulimit 99999999; find . -print | cpio -oBcv | compress > /usr2/save
7. cd /
8. umount /usr
9. adjust the size of /usr, mkfs, make lost+found, mount it
10. cd /usr; uncompress < /usr2/save | cpio -idvmucB

>2. Can I vary the relative sizes of the DOS and UNIX partitions, or even remove
>   the DOS partition?

You can remove the dos partition, but you cannot change the size of the unix
partition

>3. As an aside, any suggestions as to reasonable proportions for sizes of
>   UNIX file system partitions?

See above.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170