Colorado Tape driver for SCO UNIX (wanted)

Santiago Newbery newbery at stout.atd.ucar.edu
Thu Apr 4 05:21:16 AEST 1991

In article <15775 at scorn.sco.COM>, paulz at sco.COM (W. Paul Zola) writes:

|>I'm posting this because I think it might be of general interest.
|>
|>The Colorado Memory Systems JUMBO tape is not supported by any SCO driver.
|>The QIC-40/QIC-80 driver will not work with this unit.  This driver supports
|>the following drives for ISA class architectures:
|>
|>     Vendor           Qic-40
|>     ======           ===============
|>     Alloy            APT-40/Q
|>     Mountain         TD44-40
|>     Tecmar           QT-40i
|>     Wangtek          FAD 3500,3040F
|>

|>While tape driver support is a very fluid thing, I am reasonably sure that
|>any floopy tape not in this list will not work with the QIC-40 drivers
|>supplied with ODT.
|>
|>I believe that CMS has a driver for SCO UNIX systems: you'll have to contact
|>them to obtain a driver for your unit.
|>
|>				paulz at sco.COM

Actually, there is one more tape drive that I have found will work using
the std. QIC-40 driver provided with SCO UNIX, and that is the IRWIN SX.
This drive is similar to the CMS JUMBO, and supports 40-60 Mb tape cartridges.
It interfaces directly w/the floppy drive controller cable, and I have
installed it instead of the second floppy drive. SCO tech. support had
recommended using the minicartridge dev. driver. When that did not work
I tried the *QIC-40* selection, which seems to work fine for 40 Mb backups.

The only problems left to resolve are:
1. If I use (longer) 60 Mb tapes, they only are recognized (formatted?)
as 40 Mb.
2. I cannot install the SX drive to use the third or fourth floppy
ports, which are available in my HP VECTRA 486 (this does work under DOS).

Also, has anyone tried the larger IRWIN SX-80 drive?

Any replies / followups welcome...

|  Santiago Newbery	<<<<>>>>	newbery at stout.atd.ucar.EDU	|
|  Software Engineer				Voice: 303-497-8762	|
|  Surface & Sounding Systems			FAX:   303-497-8770	|
|  Atmospheric Technology Div.						|
|  National Ctr. for Atmospheric Research				|
|  Boulder, CO.								|