wanted: UNIX or clone

Rick Kelly rmk at rmkhome.UUCP
Fri Apr 19 15:58:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr16.225637.463 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.173457.14365 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>rmk at rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>>
>>>on my home system for about six months, I have become quite attached to it.
>>>I believe that I would rather run Coherent than other 286 UNIX ports.
>>
>>why is that?  If you were to get a 386/20 with lets say 8 megs of ram -
>>would you stay with coherent?
>
>I think the key phrase here was "286 UNIX ports."   I'd be willing to
>bet that Rick would be quite happy with ISC or Esix on a 386/20 :-)
>
>Right Rick?
>
>I must admit, after seeing the way Coherent has taken off with the 286
>crowd, and hearing of the things that people like Rick are doing with it,
>I'm pretty impressed.

Well, there will be 386 box in my forseeable future.  I will not want to run
a 286 protected mode kernel on a 32 bit machine.  If the Coherent 32 bit VM
kernel is available at that point, I will probably go for it.  Otherwise, I
would probably use ISC, since I have had a fair amount of experience with
their package.

A few years ago I played around with XENIX on a 10 mhz 286.  Using it was
like watching paint dry.  Coherent on my 12 mhz 286 is fairly responsive,
and reasonable for hacking on.

Rick Kelly	rmk at rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk at frog.UUCP