Formatting manual pages

Marc Unangst mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
Wed Apr 10 08:24:27 AEST 1991

rvdp at cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) writes:
> - you may have a look at the GNU groff packet. You need a C++ compiler
>   to compile this one.

Groff binaries for '386 Unix have already been distributed, and should
be available for FTP on archive sites.

You can also get Henry Spencer's rewrite of nroff in awk, called awf.
Awf is PD, and does a good enough imitation of 'nroff -man' to make it
work for most man pages.  Awf was recently posted to
comp.sources.{unix|misc} (can't remember which one, so check both),
and should be on uunet and wuarchive and other c.s.{u|m} archive sites.

> - try the nroff that comes with MINIX. I think it is public domain
>   (it doesn't have an explicit 'no copyright' notice)

Anything that comes with Minix that isn't explicitly PD is covered by
the Prentice-Hall copyright and, thus, can't be distributed.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"