ISC 2.2.1 groups != Sun/BSD groups

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Apr 7 04:49:48 AEST 1991

tan at bronson.uucp (Tan Bronson) writes:

>    The 2.2.1 concept of groups seems to be either broken or different
>than BSDs. On BSD uses multiple groups for file permission/access checking,
>but on 2.2.1 being a member of groups other than one's login group
>does not allow one to get access to files in those other groups!

ISC groups are POSIX groups which are the same as BSD groups.  However,
to use ISC groups, each program must be compiled to use the POSIX universe.

I don't know why ISC didn't just make that the standard behavior.

For normal users/programs you need to run newgrp, which is like su in that
it spawns a new shell with the new group id, but the old shell is gone and
you would need to do another newgrp to go back.

>    Do groups work in V.4 the same as BSD?

Yes.

>    Is there a fix for this? (I thought SSU1.a fixed this problem, but nooooo)

Nope.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170