What's in a name? (was Re: wanted: UNIX or clone)

Rahul Dhesi dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com
Wed Apr 3 05:23:51 AEST 1991

In <1991Apr1.144722.1753 at telly.on.ca> evan at telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>First off, nobody I know in this market uses the word "Unix". Everyone
>selling the product uses the all-caps version, "UNIX".

The key distinction is that UNIX is an adjective, while Unix is a
noun.  If you're talking about a *thing* you say Unix;  if you're
*describing* that thing you say UNIX.  When you say "UNIX operating
system" you are in effect saying "an operating system whose
characteristics are described by the adjective UNIX".  When you say
"Berkeley Unix" you are in effect saying "A Unix whose characteristics
are described by the noun Berkeley used as an adjective".  It is
grammatically wrong to say "Berkeley UNIX".  It is marginally correct
to say "Unix operating system" (because although Unix is a noun it is
possible to use it as an adjective).

The orthogonality is not complete and you don't usually say "UNIX
Unix", because it sounds awkward, although it is grammatically
correct.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at cirrus.COM>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi