SVR4.0

jrd at cc.usu.edu jrd at cc.usu.edu
Sun Apr 7 10:43:59 AEST 1991

In article <9104051959.AA23768 at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DA462CS at OPIE.BGSU.EDU writes:
> 	I had posted this to .questions a few days ago but after further
> reading I think this is a better newsgroup to post to.
>
> 	I am in the processing of setting up a 80486 machine to run UNIX,
> and am wondering what the various experiences of users are concerning
> the different vendors.  At this time I can get AT&T SVR4.0 at a good
> price, this is my choice right now.  Is there any benefit in going with
> the other guys: Interactive, SCO, ESIX, UHC????  Price is not a concern
> because personally I don't think the AT&T stuff is that expensive... I
> don't want to start any religious wars here, just some helpfull comments
> please...
>
> 			Thanks in advance...
> 			Michael L. Gantz
> 			DA462CS at opie.bgsu.edu
Michael,
	Two pieces of free advice:
	1. determine the state of device driver support for each Unix.
	2. determine whether your machine will even boot that Unix. For
example, most AMI Bios machines I've checked will not boot AT&T's SVR4,
but a Phoenix Bios is just fine.
	Joe D. (I have an AT&T SVR4 systems a'building)