CD-ROM and ISC Unix and VP/ix? Help!

James P. H. Fuller jim at crom2.uucp
Fri Apr 26 10:37:25 AEST 1991

     Can anyone give me any hints about getting a CD-ROM drive recognized
from within VP/ix?

     Everything works fine under true DOS, so I know it isn't a hardware
problem.  The device driver (HITACHIA.SYS) is loaded by VP/ix's config.sys
file and the DOS extensions (MSCDEX.EXE) are called by VP/ix's autoexec.bat.
When I call up VP/ix I get the correct messages that these items are being
loaded succesfully, but when I try to get a directory listing or anything
else from the CD-ROM drive all I get is

    CDR101: Not ready error reading drive D
    Abort, Retry, Fail?

    I'm running Interactive Unix release 2.2 and Interactive's VP/ix.  I have
begun to wonder if what I'm trying to do is even possible.  I remember when I
added a mouse to the system I had to both load a DOS mouse driver *and* put an
entry in vpix.cnf pointing to the /dev/mouse device file before it would work
in VP/ix.  But in the case of the CD-ROM there doesn't seem to be anything that
looks like a Unix CD-ROM device file.

     Are CD-ROMs simply not supported under VP/ix?  Is there any way to con-
figure a CD-ROM in as a "nonstandard device"?

     If you have a CD-ROM reader working under any flavor of VP/ix (not just
Interactive's) I'd be most interested and grateful to hear your experiences.

                                                    Thanks very much,
                                                    James P. H. Fuller
                                                    jim%crom2 at nstar.rn.com