compiling X386 in ESIX 5.3.2D

Bob Willcox bob at rancor.UUCP
Mon Apr 22 23:01:20 AEST 1991

I have been attempting to compile X386 1.1a on my ESIX 5.3.2D system.
Having been plaqued mostly with configuration problems at first I am now
to the point where I appear to be suffering from badly built shared
libs.  The error message I get when make tries to link with any of the X
shared libraries built earlier is:

  ld fatal: cannot combine NOLOAD input sections with other input sections;
  possibly caused by shared library address space overlap

I am building this with gcc 1.39 with coff patches applied that I
obtained from suphys.

I am also getting errors compiling the at386 drivers with MANY messages
looking like this:

  driver.c:68:base/index register must be 32 bit register

I have not yet tracked this one down, but appears that it may be coming
from the gcc-as assembler rather than the compiler.

Thanks for any help.
--
Bob Willcox             ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!romp!rancor!bob
Phone: 512 258-4224