Emacs 18.57, ISC 2.2.1, Protocol rev, TERM variable

leo at aai.com leo at aai.com
Fri Apr 5 11:52:43 AEST 1991

I just built Emacs 18.57 on my 486/25 running 2.2.1.

When I start emacs under X (I built it with X support), it usually starts
and runs fine - the first time.  But, more often than not, I get the error:

	Warning: Client built for newer server!
	Warning: Protocol rev. of client does not match server!

and Emacs sits there eating up cpu cycles but without creating a window or
doing anything useful.  What I find most puzzling is that SOMETIMES it
works and doesn't give any error messages!  Any clues as to what the
problem is?  I'm using ISC's X11 development system.

When running emacs outside X, it works properly but the termcap stuff seems
a little messed up.  The mode line isn't reverse video, has "RD" at the
beginning of it, and the refreshing doesn't always happen when it should.
I tried changing my TERM variable from at386 to at386-M and that seemed to
be better as far as refresh is concerned.  What do others use when running
emacs?  Are there any new termcap entries I need?

Thanks for any help!

--
Leo	leo at aai.com   leo%aai at uunet.uu.net   ...uunet!aai!leo