What's in a name? (was Re: wanted: UNIX or clone)

Keith Ericson keithe at sail.LABS.TEK.COM
Thu Apr 11 02:01:29 AEST 1991

In article <3034 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>...I simplify the whole complex picture by
>saying that "Unix" is a noun and "UNIX" is an adjective.  This should
>keep most everybody happy.

That's _fine_ as long as your sole form of communication is written.  But how
are you going to convey the differences among [Uu][Nn]Ii][Xx] in a verbal
mode.  I 'spos "UNIX" could be shouted and "unix" whispered.  But how about
the other, uh, 14 cases?

(help *) KEITHE(), user of the UNIX brand operating system... :-)