ANSI C/gcc1.39 question on Sys Vr4

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.cactus.org
Mon Apr 29 13:26:50 AEST 1991

In <1991Apr21.014544.16923 at swsrv1.cirr.com>, toma at swsrv1.cirr.com
	(Tom Armistead) wrote:

> I have gcc 1.39 on System Vr4.  It compiled with just a little
> trouble, but when I compile things with, if they include anything from
> /usr/include, gcc croaks on some ?ANSI? stuff in the .h files.

Use the fixincludes-V4 shell script included with gcc.  It will
correct most of these include file bugs.

> #if #machine(pdp11)

> Can anybody tell me what the '#machine' is supposed to do?

Nothing.  It's worthless.  Even fixincludes-V4 won't cure every
instance of this: you may also want to edit /usr/ucbinclude and delete
the crap from there too.

> gcc just doesn't understand it?  Is it a gcc problem? Or is it a new
> ANSI thing?

gcc works fine here.  AT&T screwed up.  Someone must have been on a
stupid drug - there was no call for introducing that sort of
incompatibility.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james at bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789