Buying UNIX for a clone

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Mon Apr 29 09:50:13 AEST 1991

larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>>Yes, I know you made a postive comment about Dell, but they are not really
>>competing in the general (i.e. non-dell hardware) unix reselling market.

>Yes they are - and their UNIX runs in many installations with non-dell
>hardware.  Heck, with Dell's SVR4 (for $1295 list) you get Dos Merge -
>how many other SVR4 packages for $1295 give you the works - including
>Dos Merge?

Try calling them with a problem, even within the first 30 days.  Like
AT&T, the first question will be "what is the serial number of the Dell
computer that is having the problem?"

I'm not bashing Dell.  It sounds like a good product and the decision
to only support thier own hardware is a basic business decision. If I
was in their shoes I would probably have made the same decision.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170