High-speed SLIP/PPP

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Wed Apr 17 23:32:55 AEST 1991

brian at telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) writes:

>SCO's standard tty drivers for the internal 16450 ports (COM1 and
>COM2) are pretty poor performers.  If you plan to do SLIP I
>-*<STRONGLY>*- recommend an intelligent serial I/O card or plan to go
>REEAAALLL SSLLOOWW.

Hmm - At least with Interactive if one runs SLIP they need
to run it on the stock ASY port.  We've tried numerous
smartboards and had nothing but problems - and finally
we received information that 386/ix has specific hooks in
the ASY driver to support SLIP.  With a 16550AFN and the
buffer enabled (the ASY driver enables the FIFO) throughput
is quite good (with the DTE locked at 38400).

>Yes, very.  Most of the router vendors have adopted PPP for
>interoperability on their sync links.  Telebit, Interactive, FTP,
>Intercon, and others support async PPP in their products.  PPP has
>many more advantages over SLIP besides the ability to escape the
>control characters.

Interactive isn't using it in their 2.21 (how about Dell SVR4?)

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator